As a GPS owner I often like to find the coordinates of a location I’m traveling too beforehand. I’ve used Google Earth and Delorme Street Atlas USA in the Past.
Google Maps is so convenient, but unfortunately does not conveniently show the Latitude and Longitude of locations. However I’ve found this method that works real nice.
- I open Google Maps to the vicinity of where I would like coordinates.
- I use my right click mouse button and select “center map here” from the drop down button.
on my computer into my browser’s URL address window.Here’s the code:
- I click the “go to the address in the location bar” button usually to the right of the address.
- A popup appears showing the coordinates of the center of the map like this: (43.60336, -110.7362)
- I right click on the coordinates the copy and click either “OK” or “Cancel”
- I then paste the coordinates into google’s “search maps” text box, remove the parenthesis and click “Search Maps”
- A popup appears with a marker for the centered spot. The popup has the coordinates in both Decimal Degrees and Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.
- I refine as and if necessary and I have my way point for inserting into my GPS.